New Ways to Celebrate
by Sarah Formica
In the difficult times of COVID-19, one thing on everyone’s mind is how they can keep up some holiday cheer while also keeping safe. So, throughout November and December, I have scoured the Internet to find the best new ways to celebrate the holiday season during 2020.
○ Like your average Secret Santa exchange, you would have an online generator choose who would be buying gifts for who. But instead of hiding gifts, mail them without writing your name and leave hints until you send our final gift. The entire gift can reveal who they had over zoom or facetime.
○ This is one that I’ve done with my friends a lot. Gather on zoom and play Kahoot, Gimkit, Quizizz, Jack Box, etc etc etc. Base the questions on inside jokes or your favorite movies. Have some fun and enjoy each other's company.
○ Not everyone can afford to buy a ton of presents. So, for a cheaper and more personal option, try baking some treats to give to friends, family, neighbors, or maybe even strangers on the street who don’t have a home to stay in this holiday season.
○ Make it a competition or make it a way to relax- a great way to bond this season is to have all of your family and friends attempt the same recipe over zoom. This is a perfect way to have holiday dinner together without putting your safety at risk.
○ It’s safe to say that sitting on Santa’s lap is not the best thing to do this holiday season. But if you have younger siblings or family members, consider having a man in your family dressing up as Santa and surprising the kids on zoom. They can tell Santa what they want for Christmas and feel the Christmas spirit.
○ Set up a watch party to stream all of your favorite holiday movies with your loved ones. Get cozy and get in the spirit.
○ No matter what it means to you, we at Star Status highly recommend doing some good deeds this holiday season. We’re all struggling right now and we could all benefit from some kindness. Happy holidays and stay safe, Northstars.