Recipes | Pesto Star Bread
Credit - Taste of Home (Darlene Brenden)
Prep Time: 1 hour 45 minutes (includes rising time)
Total Time: 2 hour 5 minutes + cooling
-One ¼ ounce package of active dry yeast
-¼ cup warm water (110℉ to 115℉)
-¾ cup warm whole milk (110℉ to 115℉)
-1 large egg, room temperature
-¼ cup butter, softened
-2 tablespoons sugar
-1 teaspoon salt
-3 ¼ to 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
-½ cup prepared basil pesto
-6 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
-¼ cup sun-dried tomato pesto
-2 tablespoons butter, melted
Optional: additional grated parmesan cheese, basil pesto, torn fresh basil and marinara sauce
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine milk, egg, butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture, and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
2. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about one hour.
3. Punch down the dough. Turn it onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 4 portions. Roll each into a 12-in. circle. Place 1 circle on a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Spread with half the basil pesto to within ½ in. of edges; sprinkle with sun-dried tomato pesto and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parmesan. Top with third circle of dough, remaining basil pesto and remaining 2 tablespoons parmesan; top with final portion of dough.
4. Place a 2 ½ in. round cutter on top of the dough in the center of the circle (do NOT press down). With a sharp knife, make 16 evenly spaced cuts from round edge to center of dough, forming a starburst. Remove cutter; grasp 2 adjacent strips and rotate twice outward. Pinch ends together; repeat with remaining strips.
5. Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled (about 30 minutes). Preheat oven to 375℉. Bake until golden brown, 18-22 minutes. Remove from the oven; brush with melted butter, avoiding areas where pesto is visible.
6. Cool completely on a wire rack. If desired, sprinkle with cheese and before serving; serve with pesto or marinara.